2 BROTHERS UP-and-DOWN
5k & 10k
Idaho Springs, CO
Sat, Aug 20, 2022
10k up-and-down ~1,800'. Run your fastest 5km right after your slowest.
5k up-and-down ~540'
coming in May
7:30 - Pickup begins
8:20 - Pickup ends
8:30 - Start
9:15? - First finisher
10:00? - Last finisher
Both courses are out-and-back. The lower 0.8mi is paved. The rest is dirt roads.
Both courses on 23rd ave, just N of Colorado Blvd, over the river, by Courtney-Ryley-Cooper Park, in Idaho Springs.
- Go up two blocks and turn left onto Virginia St.
- In ~1/4mi, go right up Virginia Canyon Rd. Here is where the climbing really begins.
- Go up Virginia Canyon Rd for 1/2mi, at ~9%, to the junction with Virginia Canyon (aka Oh My God, OMG) and Two Brothers roads.
5k: Go right onto the dirt OMG for ~3/4mi, at ~6%. Turn and return the same way.
10k: This was just the warm-up. From here it goes from steep to very steep, from paved to dirt.
- Continue straight onto Two Brothers Rd. It's a mile up a fairly consistent 12% to another junction with OMG and aid station.
- Continue straight up Two Brothers. The next mile or so has some stretches >15%.
- About 1/4mi before the top, the road curves right and flattens a bit.
- Just before the paved road, turn at the aid station and return the same way.
Two Brothers road is 2wd dirt. It's steep and there are a few stretches where the gravel is loose, but the footing is pretty good overall. You don't need shoes with an aggressive trail tread. Cushioning might be more important.